Tuesday, July 8, 2008

who the hell was i kidding??

of course im gonna put the poem i wrote on here... err... its really cute-sy but i like it. it sounds better read aloud, i think.

about no one in particular. here goes nothing....

"horoscopes n signs n whatnot"

on one hand this might be a bad idea.

you're spewin words about suns and stars and signs
venus and mars and moons and
compatibility.

but to be honest, i'm not really hearin your words cuz
im too busy thinkin about cheesy shit, like
the stars in your eyes
or
how all the signs point to me and you and us-
and well, im not one to be swayed so easily
over words, cuz im listenin to the words
yr not sayin, you know, those soft, sweet words
that don't need to be spoken.
wow.

so this is it, huh?

that feelin i was tryin so hard to avoid, you know-
not love, cuz i dont know you that well, but
maybe, somethin else, somethin sticky and sweet,
like an overripe banana, maybe
bruised a bit, brown spots on the outside from
where you dropped it, but
mama always said that those bruised spots
are where the fruit is its sweetest.

this feels like
somethin that makes your teeth rot, but
who needs teeth when you got lips and tongues and
those unspoken words, cuz you
are enough for me, for right now, and

you got me tryin to figure out how to rearrange the stars and
moon and sky cuz
mama also told me that
love can make you do crazy things, and
heck, this aint love, but i still feel like i can do
somethin crazy.

venus and mars were lovers too, now weren't they?
he was strong
and she was sweet
and their love makin was enough to make
the moon blush and
the stars go blind with jealousy.



annnnnddd here's something that im working on but ill post it anyways. its a late bday present to myself, i guess.

i asked my mother to tell me the story of my birth and she didn't remember. i was born in philadelphia, with a midwife, she said.

i asked my father to tell me the story of my birth and he didn't remember. i was born in the cool of a july morning, but the rest of the day was hot, he said.

i asked my grandmother to ask me the story of my birth and she leaned back and i leaned forward and she whispered to me the secrets of my birth. when you were born, she said.

when you were born the ground did not shake, the sky did not shatter. the birds did not cry, the world did not stay still. people kept moving, kept living. but, oh- when you were born my heart stopped short and my ears began to ring and my eyes flooded with water, and with you. i was the first thing you saw and you were the only thing i could see because when i looked at you i was looking at myself.

and i smiled with delight and asked her to tell me more.

when you were born both of your feet curled in on themselves, like two coiled leaves. and your mother cried that you would never walk and your father cried that you would never dance and i laughed at them both because i knew that, like a flower, your body would unfurl itself and you would be tall and strong, not like a flower, but like a beautiful weed. you would grow strong and choke out anything that got in your way.

annnnnd thats all i got. im realllly stuck on this one, i might scrap it but i dunno.

1 comment:

Helyx Horwitz said...

dont scrap it, its sweet... but then again im a sucker for stories about families and life and such...