Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Is it a little too early for this??



... Yeah, I'm a good 2-3 years early, but today I brainstormed a bit on what I want to do for my Div II/ Div III stuff. 

So check it out!
---


DIV 2 Ideas:

Run a series of workshops for young girls of color (specifically young black girls aged 12-19) about identity stuff.. how they believe black women are portrayed in media, the history of black women stereotypes, etc.. At least 4 sessions together, maybe an hour or two hours long??

Use writing (poetry, personal essays), art (self-portraits, body maps), readings (For Colored Girls, The Black Woman, Colonize This!) visuals (photos- Hotentot Venus, maybe video?) theater (most likely theater of the oppressed) and discussion to run these workshops. We can end by doing a forum theater piece somewhere at Hampshire...

(Maybe) I will use some of their work to inspire some monologues or skits, or a theater piece of my own- help me with my Div III

I also want to do a similar workshop to this one but for adult women (maybe only a day-long workshop on HC as a test for the month-long workshop?)

Div 3 Ideas:

The (Sexual) Liberation of Mammy

A minstrel show.
Want to start a troupe-like group, work with them for like... a year in order to get comfortable enough to do minstrel show. ALL BLACK CAST.

Look more at the black woman...
What does it mean to be a Black mother?
How is the black woman sexualized? How is she not sexualized? How is she dehumanized?

Series of poems, creative writing pieces...
More workshop process with Minstrel troupe... maybe perform multiple times, at each of the diff schools? Idk... maybe perform in local high schools???
troupe do guerilla theater stuff, maybe invisible theater stuff- walk around valley area in blackface???? living statues, performances around valley, maybe take i to a city???

I've also been thinking a lot about the Hottentot Venus... She's got this very interesting history. I would really like to add her into my studies of the Black Woman somehow... 


I definitely encourage you to "Google that Shit": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hottentot_Venus

1 comment: