Tuesday, June 17, 2008

The Book List

So I went rummaging through my mother's books a couple of days ago. She literally has boxes and boxes and bookcases and bookcases full of books that we don't use, and that are in the basement for storage, just collecting dust. I know that she's very attached to these books, especially since all of them were paid for with her hard-earned money, mostly in college, but it's really tempting to not wan to take them all. I have decided that I would like to rekindle my love affair with literature.

When I was younger, I wold devour books- It took me only a couple of days to read a book, and I was always clutching a novel in my right hand, like an extension of my body. Sadly enough, I haven't been reading in college for pleasure, so I went downstairs and grabbed as many books that interested me as possible. I ended up making four trips. I now have two stacks of books at the foot of my bed, each a foot high, and three smaller stacks about half that size. Every single book is either about being black, being a woman, or being a black woman. I am in heaven. 

So far this summer, I have read Zami and Stone Butch Blues. Both were okay, although I liked Zami a whole lot more that SBB- but we'll leave the book review for another day. I am also almost done with Go Tell It on the Mountain, but keep forgetting it at work. I would like to read more books relating to queerness, seeing as I know nothing about queerness past (a sliver) of the queer black girl/woman experience, so I would like to expand my knowledge on the subject. My friend is going to give me Middlesex to read soon, which I am looking forward to. I just started This Bridge Called My Back today, but didn't go past the preface. I want to take my time with this book. Although it's an anthology, I know that I will enjoy it immensely- it already inspired me to think a bit and write something, a tribute piece I started, dedicated to my women of color. 

The books that I still want are as follows:

Corregidora- Gayl Jones
Teducation- Ted Joans
Colonize This!- edited by Cherrie Moraga
Games for Actors and Non-Actors- Agosto Boal (I lost my copy) 

I will definitely be adding to the list as time goes, but these will most likely be my birthday gift to myself. Goodbye for now!


No comments: