Sunday, June 8, 2008

First Post

I have no idea what to post... so an old poem will suffice!

It is called "Memories of Home." Although I am home now, I still like it... I miss what home used to be... that idealistic haven. But Hampshire is home now too... so maybe I'll make a MoH part deux. So here goes nothing...

"Memories of Home"

i miss the city and the boston skyline
the way the buildings light up
and the charles twists and turns
while the white sailboats dance
across its rolling brown backside

i miss the smell of shea butter and garlic
that lurked on my mothers skin
very rarely is she well enough to cool
so my nose welcomes that pungent sting of herbs
that clings, like a child, to her clothes

i miss the tree that grew in the frontyard of my Philly home
my tinychild hands would run over the rough bark
encircle my arms around the thick trunk
dark and brown like my own skin

i miss the faces of my family, my people
the air always thick with the smell of weed and frying fish
smooth island accents fluttering like a cool jamaican breeze
bringing back memories of enjoying
fresh coconut milk under palm trees
or daddy climbing the mango tree in the backyard
until he was out of sight-
and my childish heart would skip, out of fear that
he has taken up wings and flown to heaven. 




No comments: