Tuesday, September 22, 2009

London, BRB....

Hey gaiz.

So I'm in London. WHOOOOO...! I made a vlog abt it. Check it.



Also, here are a couple of things that have been on my mind since I've gotten here.

People keep shittalking the neighborhood here. They say its horrible, but as far as I'm concerned, it's pretty nice. I feel safe, and there's a Jamaican restaurant around every corner. I've explored a bit, and there are also lots of stores and a bus and train station not even 5 minutes from my flat. But what makes it such a shit neighborhood? The fact that it is in a city? The lack of boutiques? The abundance of black ppl and other poc? Most likely. I think that even though London is an extremely diverse city, class is definitely going to be interesting. I think in a month or so (when my money's run dry!), I'll really be able to see who's loaded. It's so expensive here.

I am also the only black student and only queer student in my flat. GAH! It can be annoying, but I think that I will slowly but surely find the gaiz. So I' not too worried abt it.

Other than that, i really do love it. The neighborhood reminds me of a mixture between Brookyln and Philadelphia. But that's just me. It feels busy and fast paced like BK, but still spacious like Philly.

I want classes to start, though. Unlike HC, there is no week full of orientation. And although ppl are doing alright meeting other students, I feel behind socially. It's been relaxing, being able to just BE and breathe and think abt everything. Relax before throwing myself into classes, etc. But I do like orientation things cuz it helps you meet folx.

Oh! I almost forgot. It's so weird, but the classes are structured like this: Professor comes in and gives a lecture aka talks for an hr str8, then leaves. Then Doctorate students come in and talk abt what the Prof talked abt in a seminar- more group based. Then you meet w. a tutor one on one (optional). And that's what classes are like. Where is the interaction btwn prof & student? Where is the space for questions and challenging profs, etc? Weird, huh? I'm hoping that since I'm in mostly drama classes, the class structure will be totes different. Hmm, who knows.

Anyways. That's what's up with me. Oh, and I haven't found a pick yet so my hair looks wretched. And I'm running out of shea butter. Although I did find some hair oil- yes! And some Captain Morgan- double yes!

Hey, if you think I don't have yr email//skype//snail mail addresses, leave em in comment form. Otherwise you can't bitch abt me not keeping contact. I'm gonna try to step up my game but we'll see, yep yep.

Love yall!!! Can't wait till I have some good stories to share.

Best.

3 comments:

Uni Q. Mical said...

STIZ-OOOOKES!!!! I REDISCOVERED THE WORLD OF BLOGGING!!!! EVEN RE-WORKING MY OWN...HAHAHA

BUT ANYWAYS...

IM SOOOO GLAD U MADE IT HOMIE!!!! I look forward to hearing many more stories filled with triumph/frustrations/awareness/epiphanies/most of all, you.

oh--me? skype is kLeftamaniak, of course. hahahahah

LOVE YOU SOOOO MUCH!!!! HAVE A PHENOMENAL TIIIIME!!!!! xoxoxoxo

c theonia said...

hi hi hi hi hi!

i love that you found that bear in iceland since i just saw a baby one today! on the road! my first bear in my whole life!

p.s. have you seen sugar rush??

Kendra said...

dudeeee

kendra
14 grant
noho
01060

caroline is there too. give me an address friend buddy! i owe you a letter!